DWIs Have Serious Consequences
As far as legal troubles go, a DWI might not seem serious at first. After all, it’s considered a traffic offense, not a crime, in New Jersey. But if you’re charged with DWI, you may actually be facing the most significant legal problem of your life. The penalties of a DWI conviction can be harsh and long-lasting.
At The Law Offices of Marshall, Bonus, Proetta & Oliver you will find a team of experienced New Jersey DWI Lawyers who understand New Jersey DUI law and are dedicated to helping people throughout New Jersey to fight back against the significant penalties that accompany a conviction for drunk driving.
Protecting You From Jail Time, License Suspensions and More
If you are convicted of DWI in New Jersey, your penalties may include:
- Fines: Depending on whether you have previous offenses, your fine may range from $250 to $1,000.
- Jail time: In some situations, you may be sentenced to jail. The consequence of a third-offense DUI involves a mandatory 100 days in jail.
- License suspensions: Your license may be suspended for between three months and 10 or more years, depending on your past DWI history.
- Ignition interlock: In some cases, you may be required to install a vehicle ignition interlock on your vehicle. This will prevent your vehicle from starting until you blow a clean breath sample into the device.
- Motor vehicle surcharges: You may be required to pay a $3,000 surcharge to the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles.
- Alcohol education through the Intoxicated Drivers’ Resource Center
When you meet with our law firm, we can provide you with an explanation of what your individual penalties may be if you are convicted. Then, we will work as hard as we can to reduce or eliminate those penalties. Because New Jersey does not allow plea bargaining in DWI cases, your prosecutor will not be able to offer you a deal. Our lawyers will do everything they can to suppress breath tests and field sobriety tests, challenge evidence and help you to reduce or eliminate these significant penalties.
Contact Our New Jersey DWI Attorneys
We offer free initial consultations. With nine NJ offices, we have a lawyer near you who understands your area and how your court system works. Contact us online or at 877-450-8301. Se habla español.